Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankful


I am often (though not often enough) surprised to realize how a lack of gratitude in my heart robs me of peace and joy.  This season of thanksgiving is a good reminder.  I lack thanks because I am discontent, I think I am entitled to more, I have unrealistic expectations of others, I compare myself to others, I forget the goodness and grace of God toward me.


I have been reading a book by Nancy Leigh DeMoss called Choosing Gratitude.  It is serving as a good reminder from the Lord of all for which I have to be thankful, and of all the wasted time I live in unthankfulness.


I am thankful for my beautiful family - a faithful husband who loves me and serves me selflessly, who makes daily living fun; an adorable little girl who showers me with kisses and is healthy and growing.  I am thankful to be a wife and a mother to these particular people.  I am thankful for a father, mother, brother, and sister who love me unconditionally. I am thankful for a church family and for dear friends near and far.  I am thankful for jobs that we love, good food to eat, cars to drive, clothes to wear, and a home in which to live.  I am thankful for God's provision of a new place for us to live for the rest of our time here in South Bend (more on that later).  I am thankful for health in body and mind. I am thankful for good books, music, coffee, and the internet.  Most of all I am thankful for my salvation - God saved me from my sin once and for all through the death and resurrection of Christ - he also saves me daily through the work of the Holy Spirit, and I have the assurance and hope that he will save me for an eternity with him.


I am thankful for the trials and the painful circumstances Billy and I have walked through in the last 3 years.  I am thankful that they have drawn us closer to God and to each other. I am thankful for the trust we can have in a loving Father, that one day we will see redemption and beauty from these difficulties.  I am thankful that in comparison to the suffering of others and the perspective of eternity, they are but light and momentary afflictions.  I am thankful that our daily lives are filled with goodness and laughter.


I am thankful.
O give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples. - Psalm 50:14
Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. - 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Thanks goes to Kevin Estep for kindly taking our fall family pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment