Monday, October 25, 2010

Our Favorite Things: Books and Music

In an effort to keep this blog from becoming solely about little Maryn, we've decided to start an occasional series on what we're currently listening to and reading (because, although you may not be able to tell, we do have other interests besides parenting). So, here's the first:

Our current favs on the iPod:

Sandra McCracken - In Feast or Fallow
-Kate: "This album is eloquently spoken, straight to my heart. Plus, Sandra's richly textured music and familiar gravel-y voice make my ear happy. Truth infused and comforting for a (sometimes fearful and discouraged) stay-at-home mom's soul."

Justin King - Humilitas Occidit Superbiam
-Billy: "Justin King's newest album is acoustically driven, passionately lyrical, and simultaneously haunting and beautiful. It's not one of those rare albums where you love every song; I tend to skip over a couple. But the majority of the songs are wonderfully inventive and catchy - familiar qualities of this virtuoso. Did I mention he wrote, produced, and played all the instruments on this album?"

What we're reading:

Everything
-Billy

George Marsden - Jonathan Edwards: A Life
-Kate: "So, I lost a bet and now I have to read this book. It's ok though, I had decided I would read it even if I won. This book changed the course of Billy's life - how can I not read it? I haven't made it very far, and it's a very big book (Billy says the abridged version doesn't qualify). But I'm looking forward to reading this epic work."

Upton Sinclair - The Jungle
-Kate: "I'm not sure why I decided to re-read this book from high school. I think it was because Billy was studying labor union reform and industrial workers in his modern American history class. It's a good read, but wow is it depressing."

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kate! Ben used to grab me books from the library for me to read and usually it turned out great...then he came home with the Jungle! I couldn't get past the first few chapters and that is pretty rare for me. It was so depressing! Let me know if you liked it if you've finished. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete