Sunday, February 13, 2011

Billy's Birthday

Friday was Billy's 26th birthday.  With Maryn's surgery, it has been a hectic week, and we are both tired. We spent the day celebrating the ordinary.  We bathed Maryn, then took her to the doctor together.  Ate lunch at home (Billy had hotdogs by request).  Billy did school work in the afternoon, while Maryn napped and I tried to catch up on some laundry and dishes.  We had homemade beef soft tacos for dinner, and we enjoyed watching Maryn take her first bites of avocado.  We clapped and celebrated when she liked them.  We sang happy birthday and ate a store bought cake, and Billy opened a gift that never got wrapped.  Because it was his birthday, I told him he was exempt from any diaper changing, dog potty duty, and dishes; but I think he sneaked a few of those into his day.  We ended the day with bedtime songs, snuggles and prayers with Maryn, followed by cuddles on the couch while we watched a rented movie of Billy's choosing.  One that he had to go out and get himself.

Our day was not that different than most, but Billy never complained.  And I realized that's why I love him.  He is the one with whom I want to spend every ordinary moment of every day.  A birthday is a special occasion to celebrate that we have been able to have another year of these moments together.  We've definitely had our extraordinary moments together over the years - the terrible and the fantastically exhilarating good.  But it's the ordinary - amidst the messy house, the blowout diapers, the school stress, the short prayers whispered together before falling asleep - that makes me fall more deeply in love with the extraordinary man God has given me.  He is the best husband and father in the whole world.  I adore him.  And I'm pretty sure Maryn does too.

"Happy Birthday, Da-da!"

She put her hand in the cake right after this.  :)

2 comments:

  1. We love you guys. Ordinary miracles. I heard that song a few weeks ago and watched a video of it showing all the "ordinary" things God has made that we don't think of the wonder of because it is normal to us. I thought of it again when I read your post. You guys make us smile! Keep persevering in the faith!

    ReplyDelete