Friday, February 25, 2011

Grocery Store Misadventures, Part I

Lately I've been trying really hard to be better about planning ahead for meals and groceries.  I've started putting together a monthly meal calendar so we know what we're eating each night in advance, and so I can shop accordingly.  I've also been trying to get on board the coupon craze.  In addition to printed coupons from the newspaper and the internet, the grocery store where we shop also offers e-coupons you can redeem when you check out by entering your phone number.  These are my favorite because they're the easiest, and a lot of times they offer a certain amount of dollars off your grocery total.  I've also been watching the weekly grocery store ads so I can know which items are on sale and I incorporate those things into our meals.

For most of you wives and moms out there, this stuff is nothing new, disciplines you have probably had for years as you take care of your families.  But I'm a rebel when it comes to domesticity - I don't want to be, but I just don't like it.  Several factors are motivating me to change.  First, when working on our budget, I get really discouraged when I see how much money we waste on food, mostly because we don't plan ahead; we make last minute purchases and splurge on eating out.  Second, our grocery bills were just getting ridiculous.  Third, one of my goals for 2011 was for us to really start eating healthy - not a diet, but just a healthier lifestyle, especially now that we have a little one eating food with us.  Fresh fruits and veggies, less meat, whole grains, organic when I think it's worth it.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the results.  It's so nice to have meals planned ahead - no more "what are we going to eat?" every night.  I've been able to incorporate some new, easy recipes that work with my dreadful cooking skills.  We get to eat yummy leftovers for lunches.  Maryn gets to taste a lot of our food.  No more fast food.  We've been saving a lot of money.  And I'm actually kind of enjoying the coupon, bargain-hunting, meal planning thing.  In sum, (and I think Billy would agree) we've been eatin' good!

I explain all of this as an introduction to tell you about my grocery store trip last night.  But this post is already really long.  So I'll finish typing the story tonight and post a part II tomorrow.  Come back if you want to hear me vent.  :)

Here are a couple of things we have eaten lately:



No comments:

Post a Comment