Friday, April 8, 2011

Our Favorite Things: Books and Music

Counting Stars by Andrew Peterson: AP is an all-time favorite in the Smith household.  We've been listening to and loving his music since high school, and it just keeps getting better.  Peterson's latest album is perfect for us right now, as much of it tells the story of battles and beauty in the journey of marriage and parenthood.  It's funny how different songs speak differently to different people.  Right now Billy and I are always going back and forth in the car wanting to listen to our own respective favorites.  We love AP's music, his style, and his heart.  I also love the music video for his big hit "Dancing in the Minefields."

The Organized Heart: A Woman's Guide to Conquering Chaos by Staci Eaton:  I feel like this book was written just for me.  Eaton's short book discusses how outward chaos in our homes and lives are really the result of inner idols of the heart.  What are these idols to which we turn for peace and happiness, you ask?  Perfectionism, busyness, possessions, and leisure.  Ouch.  I was convicted by every section except the busyness part - although I have been tempted in that area in the past, it's just not where I am right now.  But the other three are an ongoing struggle for me.  Thankfully, Eaton shows us how the gospel is the answer - not legalism. ("We never conquer sin by adding more rules.")  I will need to read this book again and again, and I recommend it to all women, as these issues are common to us all.

Here are some cute pics of Maryn "reading" to make this post more interesting.  :)  She loves her books.


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...that book sounds pretty fantastic. Sounds like a few of the topics would be applicable in my life. I should pick it up. Maybe we can have book clubs when we both live in the same city. Fun times! :)

    ReplyDelete