Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Dining Area Makeover

We will have lived in our apartment for a year in August, and this summer I finally got around to accessorizing our dining area.  Previously we had glaring blank walls, a table and chairs, and a bunch of books piled against one wall.  Pretty hideous.  I had been wanting to do a "wall of frames" (any other Young House Love junkies out there?) for a long time, but Billy wasn't so sure.  I thought it would really cheer up the space since we can't paint.  I convinced him to let me do it anyway, and now he loves it.

This is how I warmed him up to the idea: 


 I only had to buy a couple of frames; the rest I had around the house.  If they weren't white or off-white already, I spray painted them:


Finished product:


I still can't find anything to put in the landscape 8x10 - I just left the insert in for now - see the one with the self-portrait/camera?

 We also got bookshelves for the area.  We still have a TON of books in the room we call the office.  But it's nice to have access to the ones currently being read or most often referenced.  As such, the books on this shelf will probably rotate frequently:

As you can see, Owlivia and Archimedes got a new home.  And I'm seriously considering spray painting those candle stick things.  I'm thinking apple green but I'm not sure.  Any opinions?

Our new dining area - much more cozy and cheerful:

Any one else doing any mini room make-overs this summer?  Any one else have a completely blank room still after living somewhere for nearly a year?



6 comments:

  1. I like it! You should see our house. We have lived in it over a year and no one room is completely decorated...it drives me crazy sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing many room makeovers this summer! :D Finishing the bathroom, moving the big kids into one room, getting the nursery ready for two, and maybe, just maybe, moving the dining area back into the kitchen. We'll see. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I got exhausted just reading your comment. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use rooms as book shelves where I come from. But my wife makes the dinnig and living rooms beautimus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we do too, lol. you're right she does. wish we could come visit your beautimus rooms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO CUTE! I dont understand how some people are just born with the talent to do something like that...and then there is me. No matter how closely I follow someone else's model, it looks like junk. Oh well. I can gaze at your walls.

    Loved the birthday update.

    ReplyDelete