Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Baby Food

Most of you know that I'm uneducated and unskilled in all things domestic.  So it may surprise you to hear that I recently undertook the task of making homemade baby food.  I never thought I'd be that person either.  But the idea of never really knowing what's in Maryn's food bothered me - preservatives & such.  Plus, there are so many easy fresh foods that babies can enjoy, some you don't even need to cook like bananas & avocado.  So I was motivated to at least give it a try.  I got an electric food mill, a steamer basket, and ice cube trays made the perfect size for single servings of baby food.  So far so good.  I have batches of carrots, peas, green beans, butternut squash, apples, and pears in the freezer - plenty to last quite a while.  Easiest thing I have ever done in the kitchen (although once she moves beyond single ingredient foods it may get a little more complicated).  And I honestly thought it was fun; I just kept imagining my baby enjoying the "fruits of my labor".  :)   They all tasted quite good, too.  Maryn is still getting the hang of rice cereal, so she has only tried the squash as of yet.  It's so easy - grab a cube from the freezer, pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds, & feed to baby!  Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally anti-jar food.  I even bought a few organic jars to have on hand, which I'm sure will be used, especially for travel or when I'm in a pinch.  But for the most part, I'm going to do my best to stick with the real stuff.  Here are my resources: this website & this book.

Carrots




Butternut Squash

Pears

Freezer bags of homemade goodness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment